Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sunday 17th at The National

Hello, it's me again. I have to be careful as there are two of us doing blogs on the same subject. Luckily, however, although we work together some of the time, our end jobs are quite different. I will leave Bruce Napier on Sanity to do his side of the job and I will concentrate on mine. My main job is concerned with Waterspace, i.e. the mooring of visiting boats to the National Festival.

Overnight we apparently had quite heavy rain that has left the festival site quite waterlogged. I must admit that after all that fresh air, a days hard work and a little glass of red wine, I did not hear much overnight!!

So much so that the site today is waterlogged. Many of the marquues have been erected including the beer tent - I really must take some more pictures and put them on the blog. The rain has meant that most people cannot get onto the site to do their job. However, my task today was to help mark out the moorings for the visiting boats and as all that entailed was a pair of walking boots, a surveyors wheel, and a can of spray paint we were not hindered by the weather.

Tomorrow I do not know what I will be doing but on Tuesday I will have to go and check all the mooring sites on our section (the Shroppie), ensuring that they are all marked up appropriately so that when visiting boats arrive they will know where to go.

On Wednesday I will put on my other hat and become a Harbourmaster for A section. This entails greeting all the boats in my section, ensuring they moor in the right place and dealing with any pronblems/complaints they may have - if I canoot solve their problems then I always have my Waterspace Manager to fall back on!

I will try and take some more photos tomorrow - the site is progressing well - to quote Canal Boat Magazine www.canalboat.co.uk the boats are being craned in, exhibitor stalls are being lugged across the site etc. Maybe I am at a different site in a different world but what they say is not happening yet!!

Speak to you soon

No comments: