Monday, August 11, 2008

Day 1 (for me) at the National Festival Site

At last we have had a day without rain!! Today was my first working day as a volunteer at the National Festival Site at Pendeford Park, Wolverhampton. No photos as yet - been too busy - hope to take some tommorrow although as yet there is little to show apart from the compound where all the materials necessary to build the site are stored. However, we did get the outer security fence installed today, tommorrow should see the inner security fence also installed. I wonder whether the fence is designed to keep us in or to keep others out!!

I have not previously been involved in setting up a site, my only previous claim to fame is being a harbourmaster at the 2006 National at Beale Park, Pangbourne. I didn't realize how involved it was. Today was also spent checking out one of the many mooring areas for visiting boats, seeing if we could fit in all the boats in that particular section and making out the limits of each boats mooring.

Tomorrow I think will involve more security fencing and maybe checking out and marking up another mooring area.

I am really enjoying working on the site and have met a lot of interesting people who have far more exeperience at this sort of thing than me.

Maybe I will be able to profile a few of them along the way!!

No comments: