Friday, February 1, 2008

Time for a change?

When we first became liveaboards we upgraded the heating system on the boat from an Alde boiler running finrads to a diesel room heater. The Alde system was fine in Spring and Autumn but was not man enough for winter conditions. At the time diesel was 22p per litre and the Alde was much more expensive to run on Calor Gas. How things have changed. The last time I bought diesel for the heater I had to pay 70p per litre. Whilst filling up with the diesel a chance comment by the boatyard employee ("Do you know it is now cheaper to use Alde central heating than to use a diesel room heater") got me thinking. After working out the sums I came to the conclusion that he could well be right. However, what alternatives are there? Working out the costs of various heating systems I came to the conclusion that with what I am paying for diesel per year would buy me 135 bags of coal!! Now, I don't know how many bags of coal you all use per year, and can you really find all that lovely free wood lying around to bolster the coal? Maybe the answer is a multi fuel stove with a back boiler supplying one or two radiators (would I need a pump?) By my reckoning the multi fuel stove might well pay for itself in two years.

No comments: