Sunday, February 24, 2008

Every man to his own trade

I suppose that to be p.c. I should say every person but I am from the old school! Now, my mooring is rather nice, at the bottom of mum and dads canalside cottage with all facilities on hand should I need them. There is however one big problem, or rather two of them, two large trees next to the canal and although canal frontage is over 150 feet, no matter where you position the boat, part of the boat is under a tree with all that comes with it i.e. sap, leaves, bird droppings etc. My son says no problem dad, I'll come up for the weekend and give you a hand to 'prune' the trees. The bonus from this visit is that I get to see my lovely daughter in law and even lovelier grand-daughter! Of which I have two I must add! I suppose I ought to mention at this point the lovely grandson as well - enough of all that - back to business. We started to cut bits off of the tree and then realised that it was not quite the simple task we had envisaged. Plan B came and went as did C D and E. We got as far as T and the Tamworth Herald - advert for a tree surgeon. A quick phone call - he'll come and have a look. We were expecting an exorbitant price but he quoted a price we could not refuse. When can you do we ask - now he says. All I wanted done was for the tree to be seriously pruned - I am quite happy to spend the next few days clearing up the bits. He came, he was quick, he was like a monkey swinging through the tree and within one and a half hour the paper stuff changed hands and he was gone. Now all I have left to do is cut up all the branches - come next year I will have so much wood to burn - and it is all free - well almost apart from the cost of the tree surgeon. Which brings me back to the point of this story - every person has their own forte and it is best left to let the professionals do the jobs that they do well. Now, what do I do well apart from........... I cannot think of anything at the moment!

No comments: