Friday, August 13, 2010

And so to Beale Park....

I have now safely arrived at Beale Park which will be my 'home' for the next 3 weeks.

Up early this morning and had my shopping done by 8 a.m.! Then it was time for a Tesco 'big breakfast', 8 items and an orange juice for £4. I definitely will not be needing lunch today!

As I left Tesco's mooring nb SANITY AGAIN, with Sheila and Bruce pulled in and took over my spot. Then it was up to Better Boating for a bit more diesel at 80/20 split. Caversham Lock was my first ever river lock to be cruised solo - I had previously managed narrow and wide locks solo, but never a river lock. All went well and I was on my way up to Mapledurham, here I had to hover above the lock, with the wind blowing, waiting for the jetty to clear so I could get in to take on water, pump out the loo and dump the rubbish. Whoever designed the location of these facilities is obviously not a boater - they are far too close to the lock and create many problems!

Whitchurch Lock came and went, and then the approach to Beale Park - so many boats here already and lots of 'old' faces to meet again. Then it was time for coffee with Sandy (nb JACARANDA) and blue Sheila, (n.b. FAIR'FA) with her new name RACQUET!! She and Sandy's other right hand helper (sorry - I forgot your name!! from nb BRIAR ROSE - I know your husband is GEOFF - I even know your car!!!) are now to be known as UNHINGED and RACQUET!!

A walk round the site - it is surprising how much equipment has already arrived. TARDIS was there (our trailer that stores so much equipment hence it's name) and the tea tent was already erected and the Carpenters workshop marquee was in the process of being erected.

Then it was back to the boat to set up my 'office'. Our real office does not arrive until Monday and until we get electricity in it we cannot start to use it... Tomorrow morning at 0900 hrs is the Elf'n'safety lecture then we start for real.......

See you soon

1 comment:

Northern Pride said...

Hey Mike
Jon has been trying to get hold of us through our blog - can you ask him to email me on sandralouise59@hotmail.com please?
Hope the IWA festival goes well, Barry really wants to come but we're still in Bath so looks unlikely!
Sandra & Barry