Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Price of Diesel

Took a short trip down to Fazeley Mill Marina yesterday for the usual services. Filled up with diesel @ 62 ppl as it all went into my heating tank in the front of the boat. I did not need any diesel for propulsion as I filled up in October and have not really been anywhere since so I signed the form as 100% for heating.

Now to the point of this post, supermarkets are now selling diesel at under £1 per litre compared to £1.05 at marinas. What (apart from the obvious hassle) is going to stop me filling my cans at the supermarket, and then filling up my engine tank with white diesel? How is HMRC going to know that I get my engine diesel from a supermarket?

2 comments:

Derek and Dot said...

Hi Mike
You passed us yesterday at Hopwas but I was too slow to realise in time to call out to you. Always like to catch up with a fellow blogger. Thanks for the tip on Fazeley Mill and an interesting point about price. You are right.
NB Gypsy Rover

Bruce in Sanity said...

HMRC doesn't care, Mike; you're paying the full duty on 100% 0f white diesel. It's only cheaper at the supermarket because of their bulk buying power.

BW will have something to say if the cut through Hopwas suddenly becomes covered in spilt diesel, though!

Remember that you are entitled to claim a split even on the diesel you put in your engine tank, because it also heats the water in your calorifier and charges your batteries.

IMHO, you'd be daft to buy it at the supermarket when FM will sell it to you at 60/40 split, ie 87.8 ppl.

Cheers

Bruce